The Curly Way

Curly Girl: The Handbook
Curly-haired (and wavy-haired) girls sometimes have it the worst. There’s so much pressure to straighten your hair (using both irons and chemicals), but it can be so drying and damaging to your hair.

 Although some heat protectants may help, sometimes the best thing to do is just to leave your hair natural. If you’ve tried this before and just ended up with a frizzy mess, here’s some personal tips I use after I damaged my hair too much (and I mean it’s a disaster) after a much failed chemical straightener:

1. Check out the Curly-Girl Handbook: This book will detail everything you need include using no-shampoo washing as well as sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. While I don’t follow this method religiously, I try to use sulfate-free shampoos as much as possible (I recently bought Sally’s Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner) and I’ll often only use deep conditioner when I shower to refresh my hair. When I get done at the pool (or if I’m feeling extra greasy), however, I’ll use a slighter harsher shampoo (chlorine is nasty for your hair) on my scalp only. Also note—your hair may feel really greasy when you first try this out, but it’ll adjust to less washing. I haven’t really felt any effects because hair was so dry and damaged.

2. Invest in a good deep conditioner and protein mask: I’m currently in love with Aussie’s Three Minute Conditioner as well as Brazilian Tech Keratin Smoothing Treatment.

3. A leave-in conditioner couldn’t hurt-I use a keratin spray and well as Argan oil. Just remember that curly hair craves as much moisture as possible

4. Find a styling product that your hair likes: It’s taken me forever to find a gel that didn’t make my hair too crunchy or weigh my hair down too much, but it’s up to you to find the best product to use. I currently use SurfHead Styling Wax.

Written By: Kristen

Posted by Sarah on 4:37 PM. Filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0
Become a Fan of Save With Sarah Follow Sarah Scoop on Twitter Watch my money saving videos Email Me
.

dailyvid

Advertise On Sarah ScoopAdvertise On Sarah Scoop Advertise On Sarah ScoopAdvertise On Sarah Scoop

2010 Sarah Scoop. All Rights Reserved. - Designed by SimplexDesign